Race Recap: Narberth Take a Breather 5 miler 4/28/18

   Well, looks like this is my first post and first race. The start time was 9:00 am, but I got there about an hour earlier because my house was nearby. I had already picked up my packet the day before so there was nothing to do but to see the other runners coming and and the course map. While looking at the course map, it looked challenging with two big hills. This was my first race, though I ran a 5k for practice the day before with my track teammates(more experienced runners).

  Before race:

It wasn't until a few minutes before the race that I met up with my friend from track and field. He told me that he had just done the on site registration. They started calling us so I decided to get in the best spot I could: up front. I didn't go all the way up front because there were a few experienced runners(about 5). Then my friend point out to me as we noticed a bunch of sixth graders standing right near the start line. We knew that it was a bad idea for them as they were going to be passed by a lot of runners. Then, the gun went of and I started my first race.

The Real Deal:

Mile 1: Everything went pretty smooth as my friend and I passed those sixth graders. I went by a few people and turned to the left. I thought I was going fast until a noticed that I was running the first mile in the 7 minute range. My friend and a several others had passed me, but no one was behind me. I felt a little sluggish, but I still felt fine.






Mile 2: I started sweating a lot! Maybe It was because there was no shade and the sunlight was direct. Thank god, cause that was when I saw the first aid station! I grabbed the water, drank less than a sip, and lightly threw it at my face. The water felt really refreshing. A few minutes later, a runner behind passed me, but went in the wrong direction. Because he had earbuds in, he couldn't hear the spectators telling him it was the wrong way.



Mile 3: Nothing really happened during this mile. I think I was passing through a neighborhood and and went up a road, heading for the Narberth tunnel.



Mile 4: This was the worst part as I had to run up a large hill. I went passed a tunnel, past the walkers, and headed for the hill. Because the spectators didn't know my name, they just kept screaming my bib number and told me to go. Then everything got easy, a few downhills and another water station.


                      The final mile down a straight road


Final mile 5: I was just cruising it, running like I was running an 800m. I passed by two people and never slowed down. I believe this was the fastest mile pace in the race. I went full on downhill towards the finish line. I was so focused, I couldn't hear anyone cheering at me or my bib number being called. The only thing that I knew was that: I finished my first race.






Post-Race

I quickly went into the field to grab a water bottle, and an orange. It was a perfect day for a race as it was not too hot, but not too cold. The organizers said that today was lucky compared to 2016 and 2017, as it was pouring rain minutes before the race even started.



Horrible weather in 2016


Overall:
I thought it was a great race for a great cause. The main purpose of the race is to donate and help research in curing Cystic Fibrosis. This disease usually affects the lungs and digestive system. The race wasn't like a normal local 5k. It wasn't too hard, but also not too easy. I thought that this was a great race to start with as I make my way up.

 Participants got this super cool long sleeve shirt. 

Results
Overall, I didn't do so bad as it was my first race. I was also surprised that I got second in my age group! 


Comments

Popular Posts