Sophomore Recap: Recap of my year and time trial



My outdoor track and field season for my sophomore year had just ended. Looking back, I knew I had a few disappointing times, but overall I thought it was a good season. Compared to freshman year, I improved A LOT (Look at the times below), and I believe that cross country and indoor track really helped out with my base and aerobic strength.

Freshman Year:800m(2:41), 1600m(5:49)
Sophomore Year: 1000m(2:50 or equivalent to a 2:16 800m. Ran this time in the 4x1000m which we set the school record.), 1600m:(4:58), 3200m:(10:44)

                                                  Sophomore Stud(I believe I ran a 20:37 in this race)

A year in review

I didn't run cross country and indoor track freshman year, as I knew I wasn't a distance runner. I came into high school, only having run the 100 meter dash and 100 meter hurdles in middle school. I had no strength back then, and when we would do our "long run" or so-called The Monster(which was a mile loop), I could not finish the whole thing without getting a cramp or walking. I feel that my low-mileage summer training for cross country in freshman year (15-25 mile a week) paid off for cross country last year. It was my first ever time running a 5k race and my time went down from 23 minutes(worst and first race of that season) to 19:23(Best race of the season). Last year, I ran an 18:33 road race, and also ran an 18:32 5k during this year's Narberth 5 Mile run. I'm hoping to up my summer mileage this year to about 35-40 miles a week(It sounds absurd), but after running 4-8 miles during practice, I feel like I'm ready. I'm also running the Midsummer Night 5k Series June race this year and I'm hoping to go sub 18(Fingers crossed). This might also sound crazy, but by the end of cross country for my junior year, I'm hoping to go sub 17(Fingers crossed again). I'm hoping to run at Paul Short next season, and the last race championship race is at Lehigh, and is supposed to be a VERY flat and fast course(I couldn't run it last year because of travel.) If I improved this much between freshman and sophomore year, I might be able to run it with proper training and mileage.

The Time Trial

Back to my main story. I had a small time trial with my friends yesterday, and for not running for at least 3 days(My legs start to hurt when I run after resting for about 3 days), I felt that my time was pretty good. I couldn't break 5 minutes but I was really close to it. Overall, we had a good time and had a long talk about cross country next season and running afterward. My friend and team mate was kind enough to record the whole entire thing so here it is:





Results:
Kyle:4:59
Nat:5:02
Sean:5:55

Comments

Popular Posts